Kanheri Caves and The Global Vipassana Pagoda is a must-see destination for history buffs or archaeology afficionados who would like to see true excavations pertaining to the ancient histories of India.
The Kanheri Caves are a group of caves and rock-cut monuments cut into a massive basalt outcrop in the forests of the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, on the island of Salsette in the western outskirts of Mumbai, India. They contain Buddhist sculptures and relief carvings, paintings and inscriptions, dating from the 1st century BCE to the 10th century CE. Kanheri comes from the Sanskrit Krishnagiri, which means black mountain. The site is on a hillside, and is accessed via rock-cut steps. The cave complex comprises one hundred and nine caves, carved from the basalt rock and dating from the 1st century BCE to the 10th century CE. Kanheri had become an important Buddhist settlement on the Konkan coast by the 3rd century CE.
The Global Vipassana Pagoda is a Meditation Hall near Gorai, North-west of Mumbai, India. The Pagoda was inaugurated by Pratibha Patil, then President of India on 8 February 2009. It is built on donated land on a peninsula between Gorai creek and the Arabian Sea. The pagoda is to serve as a monument of peace and harmony. The Global Vipassana Pagoda has been built out of gratitude to Sayagyi U Ba Khin (1899 - 1971), Vipassana teacher and the first Accountant-General of Independent Burma, who was instrumental in Vipassana returning to India, the country of its origin. The center of the Global Vipassana Pagoda contains the world's largest stone dome built without any supporting pillars.
What is included in the tour
- Private tour
- Hotel / Port pick up and drop off
- Transportation by Private air conditioned car
- English speaking tour guide
- Bottled drinking water
What is NOT included in the tour
- Meals and beverages
- Tips and gratuities (optional)
- Enjoy a day away from the crowded city of Mumbai
- Visit the Sanjay Gandhi National Park which is one of the major national parks existing within a metropolis limit and is one of the most visited parks in the world
- Visit the Buddhist caves which has sculptures and relief carvings, paintings and inscriptions, dating from the 1st century BCE
- Visit the Worlds largest pillar less dome Pagoda which is situated on the outskirts of Mumbai
- Conveniences such as a hotel pickup and drop off as well as an English speaking tour executive will be available to you
- Pricing is Location Based and Group Based : INR 8000 for Group of 2, INR 10000 for Group of 4 (from Colaba, South Mumbai) AND INR 7500 for Group of 2, INR 9500 for Group of 4 (from near the airport, North Mumbai).
- Please click on Book Now to know more about tour types
- 8:00am pick up from hotel / port
- 10:00am arrive at Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- 10:30am explore Kanheri Caves
- 01:00pm arrive at Global Vipassana Pagoda
- 2:30pm head back to your hotel / port
- 4:30pm drop off at hotel / port